It’s time for another Friday Five. Today I’m listing five of my favourite characters from books.
1. Nicholas Darrow from Susan Howatch’s Starbridge and St Benet’s series. He’s charismatic, powerful and psychic. A great man to have on your side in a crisis but heaven help the woman who gets romantically involved with him. Poor Alice.
2. Scarlett O’Hara. She’s so well known I don’t even need to say which book she’s in. Basically she’s a bit of a bitch and I wouldn’t let her near my man but I love her anyway. I guess that’s because she’s a survivor. No matter what life throws at her she never gives in. Go Scarlett.
3. Elvis Cole and Joe Pike from Robert Crais’ detective series. Okay they’re two characters but it’s a case of the sum being greater than the parts. Elvis Cole’s smart-mouthed everyman character goes where angels fear to tread and always gets in trouble. Fortunately the silent almost god-like Joe Pike always appears in the nick of time to rescue him. A bit like a guardian angel really.
4. Miss Havisham from Jasper Fforde’s Thursday Next series. A woman of action who’s feisty, smart and funny. The antithesis of the character in Great Expectations. I love her. Such a shame she didn’t appear in more of the books.
5. Lady Julia Grey from Deanna Raybourn’s Silent in the Grave series. Another feisty, humorous heroine, who’s great fun to hang out with. I’m trotting off to buy the fourth book in the series this week. Greatly looking forward to reading it.
So those are five of my favourites. Who are your favourite book characters?